Saturday, January 10, 2009

Clueless is no excuse...

... and yet, how is it that I so frequently find myself saying things like "wow, I didn't notice?"


I would like to think I am observant. Funny story about that word actually. During a dark 5-week period in my life, I decided I needed to make some supplemental income, around my being an adjunct professor and entrepreneur. So, I did what most people with a master's degree and a highly overachieving ambition do - I called my sister out of state and asked her to get me a job with her nationwide discount clothing chain employer. She made the call, got me an interview, and I was offered a job in the spring of 2004, putting circular, quarter-size, multi-color labels on the bottom of drastically discounted shoes. The going rate was $5.75 a hour, but the store manager said she would pay me $6. And who says a liberal arts master's degree does not bring in the big bucks?

So, this was an interesting experience. I should have started blogging back then. I really learned a lot about myself, and others during that experience. But one of the best stories was from one of our morning "associate meetings" before the store opened. It seems the corporate office was fond of disseminating "rah rah" slogans to help motivate the employees who were slaving for a non-livable wage. At this particular meeting, one of the assistant store managers revealed the new cheer, and kept telling us to "Be Ozervent." What the hell did he just say? Now, I know it was early in the morning, and I really did not want to be there, but I looked at the crowd gathered around him, and no one else seemed as perplexed. He said it over and over again. BE OZERVENT, BE OZERVENT. I finally got it. Be Observant! You would think after such a great moment in my career, that advice would have really impacted me. And yet, I still remain clueless at times...

Back to my original thought: Clueless is no excuse. And yet, approaching 40, I am still regularly clueless in a good relationship. Am I self-absorbed? That could be part of the reason. I'm not proud of that fact, but U. Blogger is the youngest sibling in the family, and has exhibited tendencies of self-absorption from time to time.

I have a great relationship with a great partner. She gets me. And that says a lot because I rarely get myself. And yet, I can frequently be clueless to things that are impacting her. It's no excuse, but it keeps happening. It's terrible really.

But, can you teach a proverbial old dog new tricks? I'd like to think so. How do you do it? Let's hope I learn it before it's too late.

3 comments:

annastasia b. said...

Its never to late! Hell grab a bottle-o-wine & a fishamajig sandwhich & talk it out! Maybe bring her some flowers or better yet a Rolex, nothing says I am sorry AND I am here for you, like a a Rolex! lol

Unknown said...

A nice glass of wine,a fishamajig sandwich, a fine cigar and the woman you love... it's a recipe for relaxation! Keep on bloggin'! You make me smile!

Unknown said...

What's the deal woman? When you gonna blog again? If I'm not there to bother you everyday, are you gonna forget to blog? What's new?